My sister, Shelbie made this awesome appetizer and she wanted to share this recipe with you all. She’s such a creative little chef, so stay tuned for more recipes from her!
Extra-Firm Tofu (I used Nasoya)
Stone-Ground Yellow Cornmeal
All-Purpose Season (I used Trader Joe’s Everyday seasoning)
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Crushed Tomatoes (mine had Garlic, Basil and Oregano)
1. Heat up a small pan with 2 Tbsp of olive oil.
2. Cut up 1/4 of an onion into a small dice and let sauté on low heat with a pinch of salt, some all purpose seasoning and chili flakes. After 5-10 minutes add in crushed tomatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes
3.Heat up oil in a pan on medium heat
4. Combine 3/4 cup of cornstarch and 5 Tbsps of cornmeal together in a bowl and set aside.
5. Open tofu and thoroughly dry it off with paper towels, the drier the better. Cut tofu into 1/2 inch cubes and dredge in dry mixture. Fry for 2-4 minutes.
6. Place cooked tofu on a paper towel to absorb any excess grease. Sprinkle with salt immediately!
(Recipe by: Shelbie Bachai, follow her on IG for more recipes @shelbieebachaii)