As you can tell from my title this post is about sexual assault and rape. I also wanted to share a few statistics about rape and I hope you all take a moment out of your days to help someone in need.
- 1. Every 2 minutes, someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted.
2. 1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime. Among all victims, about nine out of ten are female.
3. 1 out of every 33 American men has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in his lifetime. At least 10% of all victims are male.
4. 100% of completed rapes, 39% of attempted rapes, and 17% of sexual assaults against females result in injured victims.
5. The number of rapes reported is spread fairly evenly throughout the year, with a slight increase in August (around 9%) and the fewest in December (approximately 7%).
6. There were 90,427 forcible rapes reported to police in 2007.
I obtained this information from the Rape Crisis Center.